[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Nov 19 04:39:52 UTC 2010

> Aaannnd on reviewing the original email I now realise AnyDVD is a player not a
> ripper :( So yah - not suitable to my needs.

No, it's a ripper. There's no playback functionality in it.

The software basically does two things.

First, it removes all the DRM. I think it sort of installs as a
hardware interface driver or something like that (so it may not work
with wine). When you insert a DVD/BluRay into the drive, it scans the
disc and identified what sorts of DRM is on the disc. It then appears
just like a disc with no DRM, meaning you can freely copy files
through explorer without worrying about bad blocks or
CSS/AACS/BD+/etc, and you can run handbrake on it without having
handbrake see dozens of spurious tracks (like some DRM schemes
involve), etc.

Second, it has a very basic ripper which simply copies the appropriate
folders (VIDEO_TS, BDMV, etc) to your hard drive. Pretty much the same
as if you copied it manually in explorer, just more convenient.

--
Ron