[mythtv-users] .24 upgrade issues

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Nov 18 17:55:42 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, November 18, 2010 07:34:42 am John Freeman wrote:
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> My general home network is 192.15. and the HDHomeRun and
>> second Ethernet port are on 172. So the server is on 2 networks with
>> the 172. being just it and the HomeRun. The auto-discovery does not
>> work this case.
>
> So you are using non-RFC-1918 addresses for your home network
> (192.15.x.x)? You can do that of course, but it might be safer to use
> non-world-routable addresses.

Good luck with that. My cable provider, Virgin Media (UK), supplies DHCP
information via a server in the 10.x.x.x range, and I regularly see
misconfigured hosts on the wire with 192.168.x.x addresses.

Not that any of that gets past my firewall, of course, but it's better to be
safe and use the reserved ranges internally.

Of course, 192.15.x.x may have been assigned to him by his ISP...

--

Mike Perkins