[mythtv-users] Transcoding in real time

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 18 14:37:36 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 05:15:22 pm Raymond Norton wrote:
> Are you referring to mythexport? I am currently using it and it works
> fine, but runs after the recording is finished, which can be several
> hours, depending on what I record.
>
> Ultimately, I am trying to duplicate what Orb does (orb.com) and
> watch live TV on my IPod. The UPNP players wont play mpg files, so I
> have to use my laptop with mythtv Frontend.
>
> I almost have what I am looking for by using japelserver on my myth
> box. It does a nice job of transcoding mpg files, so I can watch
> them via Safari on my IPod. Unfortunately, you cannot fast forward
> past commercials like with UPNP players, and if the connection
> breaks, you have to start from the beginning of the file.
>
> If myth trascoded to mp4,  on the fly, I could use my IPod UPNP
> player to access the file and have all the functionality I am
> looking for.

I'm looking at the Orb TV site, do you have any experience with their
system?

I don't see where Orb's system lets you watch live TV on an iPod, am I
missing something? Maybe on an iPod Touch, connected via Wifi?

I think they are expecting way too much from WiFi, it's generally poor
with HD files, and horrible with multiple HD streams, and I don't see any
RJ-45 ports for hardwire connections. OTOH they don't specifically say
the system can handle HD, both NTSC and PAL are SD standards, but why
use component for SD?

They are specifying CPUs that are way faster than needed for SD, so
maybe they are doing HD? They seem pretty lean on actual specifications.

As for transcoding on the fly, have you tried MediaTomb? The UI is a bit
confusing, but it works.