[mythtv-users] 0.24 upgrade - a few issues/questions

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Nov 18 08:14:40 UTC 2010

Just mirrored my Ubuntu 10.04/Myth 0.23-fixes install to a second set of
partitions, tweaked /etc/fstab and rebooted into the mirror.  Ran the
update to 0.24-fixes from JYA's repos - went very well.

I would like to thank Jean-Yves again, very much, for maintaining these
repos, especially for those of us planning to stick with Ubuntu LTS
releases.  I know it's a lot of work for him to do this, and it's
appreciated!  It saves us a lot of hassle.

I've only come across a few issues so far:

(1) Sound:  I'm running sound out through s/pdif to my amp.

I have run the "scan" function and am using
"ALSA:IEC958:CARD=Interl,DEV=0"as the audio output device.  Under "Audio
capabilities", "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" are checked.  "LPCM" is checked
but the check-mark is greyed.

I get 5.1 sound with my recordings and videos - no problem.  However, with
music, there are problems.

Under "Music Settings", I have "Audio device" set to "default".
If I check "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround" - which is the option I want
to use - the receiver tells me it's getting 5.1 input when the file begins
to play (status bar moves, timer increments), but there is NO sound.
Stopping the player shuts off the 5.1 LED on the receiver.  If I UNcheck
the "Upconvert" box, I do hear the music, in stereo.  However, after
stopping the music and trying to play a 5.1 source such as a recording -
NO sound, 5.1 LED on the receiver flashes off and on, I have to exit the
frontend and run alsamixer, hit "M" four times, after which I can restart
the frontend and watch a video or TV recording in 5.1 surround again.

I had a similar problem in 0.23.  Can someone tell me what settings I need
to get my mp3 music files to actually play in upconverted 5.1?  I think if
I can get Myth to stop switching between 2.0 and 5.1, this issue will
finally be put to bed...it would be nice to no longer have to back out of
the frontend and run alsamixer when switching between music and
videos/recordings.

(2) - Mythweb no longer works on my Droid phone's browser.  Apparently
this is an issue on iPhones as well, looks like a PHP error (file is
missing, see previous posts)...I'm sure this will be fixed soon, no
worries.

(3) When pulling up Mythweb in Firefox 3.6 on a desktop or laptop, it
appears that there are some minor HTML issues.  The channel icons are BIG,
the word "left" is seen in many of the boxes in the tables, and the
appearance isn't very clean - no borders between shows under "Recorded
Programs", for example.

(4) Font sizes, at least in the Mythbuntu theme I'm using, are somewhat
too big, and I don't see any options for tweaking them.

(5) I seem to have lost the "Media Library" tab on the frontend's main
screen.  How do I get it back?

OTHERWISE, things seem to be going well.  I did not have to change any of
my tuners in Setup...haven't tried recording from the HD-HomeRun yet, but
the HD-PVR records fine.  Live TV seems to work better than before.

Thanks again to all -
Bob