[mythtv-users] HD-PVR horizontal bands

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Thu Nov 18 01:56:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 08:53:42 am Christopher Meredith wrote:

> > > Yeah, that's the one I'm using. I wonder what the problem is, then...
> >
> > The problem is not cable quality, it's most likely common mode AC hum.
> >
> > Try re-orienting your cabling, especially if you are crossing AC power
> > wiring.
> >
> > Make sure all of your gear is connected to the same AC power outlet (as
> > much as possible).
> >
> > Make sure all your gear is grounded or, conversely, don't use grounds
> > except for the protective grounds in the power wiring.
> >
> > A fairly good explanation of ground loops is here:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)<http://en.wikipedi
> > a.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29>
>
> In my case, the HD-PVR sits directly beside the STB and the component cable
> goes directly from one to the other. The excess is coiled and bound with a
> twist tie. Everything is plugged into a single power strip which is plugged
> into a single outlet. Come to think of it, I actually have a second power
> strip plugged into the first (I know, I know).

Christopher, this may be a useless idea , but is relatively cheap to try.  Could I suggest you make your cable 'untidy'
and try just uncoiling the excess, to see if that helps the problem. I have had problems with some cables that were a
bit long and were coiled. Using a shorter cable of straightening up the cable usually sovled any issue. However, I have
not had a similar issue to yours.

--
__
John