[mythtv-users] Squeezesoft prevents audio in .24

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 23:32:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 November 2010 23:58, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
>> Some audio hardware provides hardware mixing and when that isn't
>> available dmix software mixing is enabled automatically for analog
>> outputs unless the distro has specifically disabled it in favor
>> of using the pulseaudio server for audio mixing.
>
> Don't know how they would specifically disable it ; but in all my
> testing, if the audio device is in use, you often can't open it in
> another application : as you said this depends on the audio card.
>
> But on my PC here, if I play something using mplayer, myth won't be
> able to access the audio device and vice-versa.
>
> this is using the "front" device which is analog

I would expect this behavior when playing something with mplayer (and
indeed, I would also expect this behavior when softsqueeze is playing
something).  I would not expect this behavior when mplayer is simply
running without playing a media file, which is the issue I am having
with softsqueeze.  It prevents myth from accessing the output when it
is just running even if it is not playing any audio.

But it seems like that is a softsqueeze issue and not a myth issue.
And it seems like my options are to:
1) harass the softsqueeze people to fix that;
2) do my workaround of starting and stopping softsqueeze via remote
buttons and understand that until I stop softsqueeze, myth won't play
audio;
3) switch to pulse; or
4) figure out the dmix option that Greg suggested.

I will choose 2 for now and see about looking into 1.  I will also try
earlier versions of softsqueeze because I am pretty sure I had both
softsqueeze and myth running at the same time with no issues 100% of
the time, so maybe an earlier version only opened the device when it
played audio and closed the device when it was not playing audio.