[mythtv-users] Can't scan fir audio devices in new .24 install

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 23:15:44 UTC 2010

Hi

On 18 November 2010 04:32, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I had ALSA:default or ALSA:spdif in the database (and shown in
> the settings screen) and tried to scan for audio devices, it gave me a
> pop-up that said ALSA:default is not a valid device and then just
> allowed me to click ok (this is not verbatim, best I can remember it).
>  I had to actually go into the database and make that value blank and

there is no need to manually edit the database; just select any of the
device in the list.

pressing the scan button has two purposes:
find which devices are available on your system and tested to work
and test the capabilities of the audio device you manually entered
(here ALSA:default)

that it shows a pop-up stating that it's not a valid device means that
it was found that either it didn't exist in alsa subsystem, or
couldn't be opened etc.

> the scan for audio devices to make it work.  When I had softsqueeze
> running, it would not bring up the iec958 device, so I had to kill
> that program to properly scan (I understand why it would not add that
> device to the list and not saying this is an issue, I am just giving a
> description of what happened).

yes, if the device is in use elsewhere, when you scan, it test all the
discovered device sequentially ; as iec958 couldn't be opened, it's
not added to the list

> It is not in the generated list.  That is fine.  iec958 works fine for me.

I've seen PC with no ALSA:default ; like my VMWare PC, it only has ALSA:front