[mythtv-users] Google TV HDMI Input

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Nov 17 22:45:56 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 08:12 AM, Justin Dunn wrote:
> Hi,
> I was reading about Google TV and it seems to have an HDMI input which
> displays in it's interface.
> Apparently you can have a full web browser open with a little corner
> display of the HDMI input.
> It appears that there must be an HDMI capture card in existence that
> can capture the HDMI output of STBs that Google uses.
> So I was wondering what prevents a HDMI capture card that captures the
> HDMI out of STBs existing for consumers that works with Linux and
> mythtv from existing? Is it just the HDCP that prevents it?
> Justin

The GTV presumably does what it does by being an HDCP compliant device,
able to decode and re-encode.

Does HDMI include a protocol for putting an OSD on top of the main video
signal via another channel that GTV
is using?  Otherwise, the GTV is deocding the video stream, modifying it
to add OSD (or to shrink it and mix it
as a PIP with the UI) and re-encrypting and sending it out again.
This is not that hard to do, though.  The hard
thing is compressing the uncompressed stream, or storing it.  Doing some
tricks with it takes much less processing power, and I presume there are
various chips that one can get that also do it.

For linux boxes, it seems that a card which can take HDMI in, and play
various transforms on it to combine it with other signals and then do
HDMI output would be reasonably doable.    Possibly even partly in
software if the incoming signal does not have HDCP.    It should be
possible to make a card that does all that with HDCP as long as it does
not make the pass-through stream available to the system, but rather
only allows mixing stuff with it for OSD, and switching and the like.

Don't know if we in the myth world are enough market for such a card,
though.