[mythtv-users] HD-PVR horizontal bands

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 17 21:31:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 02:08:31 pm Christopher Meredith wrote:

> > Yeah, you can get magnetic ferrules for the cables, but if your
> > hdpvr came with the same cables mine did (the 5 wire joined
> > cable), it is very high quality (at least mine is)...
>
> Yeah, that's the one I'm using. I wonder what the problem is, then...

The problem is not cable quality, it's most likely common mode AC hum.

Try re-orienting your cabling, especially if you are crossing AC power
wiring.

Make sure all of your gear is connected to the same AC power outlet (as
much as possible).

Make sure all your gear is grounded or, conversely, don't use grounds
except for the protective grounds in the power wiring.

A fairly good explanation of ground loops is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)