[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Mr. Duncan McDonald duncan.john.mcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:28:54 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Upgraded to 0.24 from 0.23 and it was nearly seamless! :-)

I'm using Mythbuntu 10.4 with Alsa 1.0.23 (not Pulse Audio because for some reason I could never get this to work with 10.4) - the connection is over a Nvidia GT220 card using HDMI to a surround sound receiver.

The problem is that when I first boot the machine I don't get audio out of MythTV until I run something like Mplayer (which does output audio straight away) - once I've run a video using Mplayer and  go back into MythTV audio works within it again! My audio device in MythTV has correctly been discovered as 'ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia' and outputs Dolby Digital no problem.

Has anyone come across this before or have any suggestions for how to fix this? (audio worked perfectly using this setup in 0.23 but I realise there's been a lot of great audio changes from 0.23 to 0.24). I'm using revision 27251. I understand getting PulseAudio to work is the correct solution but unfortunately I've had no luck with 10.4 (especially since I have a slightly different setup and am using Alsa 1.0.23) - maybe upgrading to 10.10 would help?

Thanks!