[mythtv-users] cutlist editor feedback (was Re: cutlist editing hangs frontend)

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 01:09:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Craig Sanders <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:
>  Diatribe \Di"a*tribe\ (?; 277), n. [L. diatriba a learned
>     discussion, Gr. ?, prop., a wearing away of time, fr. ? to
>     rub away, spend time; dia` through + ? to rub: cf. L. terere,
>     F. trite: cf. F. diatribe.]
>     A prolonged or exhaustive discussion; especially, an
>     acrimonious or invective harangue; a strain of abusive or
>     railing language; a philippic.
>     [1913 Webster]

"A prolonged or exhaustive discussion"...  precisely.  Spot on.

> i write for adults with some skill at comprehension.  not for children
> with the attention span of a gnat.

Good for you.  I hope you enjoy writing for fictional characters.
Most adults with comprehension skills still lose interest rapidly when
faced with a long essay.

> now here you ARE lying. maybe to yourself but definitely to me. feedback
> is not wanted here. every attempt i've ever seen of someone giving
> feedback (as opposed to grovelling) is attacked and dismissed as
> ungrateful and insulting abuse by people like you.

Whatever.  Welcome to my spam mailbox.  You are playing the victim
when in fact you are not one.  You are throwing up straw men.

> that would be because you see any real feedback (i.e. from someone who
> isn't trying to shove their nose up your arse) as an insulting and
> abusive personal attack.

No, but I certainly consider this lame response by you to be one.  Grow up.

> speaking of which, i've found one more problem with the new cutlist
> editor - unlike the old editor, if you hold down the left or right arrow
> key to move the cursor, it doesn't update the display until you let go
> of the key, so you can't see whether you've moved to the right point
> until after you stop moving.

Good for you.  File a ticket.

> i write for reasonably intelligent adults. i have no desire to write
> like a 10 year old. or for 10 year olds either.
>
> at least one person read it and understood what i was saying.

Yawn.  I'll get back to doing something more productive... Like
actually working on the code instead of randomly whining because it
doesn't meet my expectations.  That *is* how Open Source works, you
know.

If you are capable of coding, I suggest you start making patches
rather than railing against everyone else and alienating those who are
doing the coding.  Doing things your way (so far) makes the good
points you may have in your arguments get summarily ignored as we have
better things to do with our *spare* time than deal with people who
seem to think that swinging a broadsword around themselves is a good
way to give "constructive" criticism.

Now, back to "work"...