[mythtv-users] 0.24-fixes JYA Repo for Lucid?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 02:58:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Mario Limonciello
<mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Greg, I've been using *buntu for a while and have been noticing a number
>> > of
>> > issues you cited.
>> > I'm about ready for a change.
>> > May I inquire as to which distro you changed to from *buntu?  Thanks.
>> > (no, I'm not trolling, I'm curious)
>>
>> I still use ubuntu for my laptops (which a couple have a frontend
>> installed), but I use minimyth for my FEs and RHEL6 (which I notice
>> was released this weekend, so 3rd party redistributors should have
>> distros out shortly)  for my main backend.  Ubuntu's (lack of)
>> ext4/libahci upkeep is the *main* reason I will never use them on a
>> backend again though.
>>
>> Like I said, the regular ubuntu mirrors (for non-mythtv stuff) I have
>> never had issues with (maybe just lucky), but these mythbuntu mirrors
>> that are included in the .deb package from the mythbuntu website gave
>> me grief for 2 weeks on some test systems before I finally gave up.
>> Selecting on mirror would have 0.24 libmyth, but no 0.24 frontend
>> package, so changing to another would have no 0.24 packages..  It just
>> got frustrating that partial dependencies are allowed to be
>> propagated.
>>
> Hi Oliver:
> I'll admit there have been some problems with the US, UK, and FR repos.  As
> I understand the root cause to their problems was a bazaar lockfile not
> getting removed.  They've been removed from the rotation until that can be
> sorted out and verified to be fixed.
> As for partial dependency propagation, this is a bit of a bigger problem
> with the way the Launchpad PPA service operates.  i386 and AMD64 builds
> don't necessarily happen at the same time, and if you have multiple packages
> that have to build in a certain order it can take many hours depending on
> how overloaded the PPA build system is.
> You don't see these types of problems in standard Ubuntu after it releases
> because the builds are first pushed to a -proposed repository and then
> binary copied by a human being to an -updates repository.  You will see
> those skews if you have -proposed on, or likely while the version of Ubuntu
> is in development.
> We've recently made a change that should significantly help with this
> problem however.  Rather than MythTV, MythPlugins, and MythThemes being 3
> individual packages that had to build in a particular order requiring many
> hours, they're a single source package now.  This means that one build might
> take 2 hours to build, but it will kick out the 30 or so binary packages
> immediately.  If you are using i386, you shouldn't see problems anymore.
> If you are using AMD64, we've got some ideas still on how to put bandaids on
> the rest of the problem, but haven't implemented them yet.

Excellent explanation!

Sometimes I do forget that you mythbuntu folks are not working with
the same *resources* as canonical folks  :)  Even their hand-moved
system seems a bit archaic to me, but I guess not everyone has the
hardware to do it efficiently at mirror sites.

I of course did not want to keep anyone from trying to use mythbuntu,
but these were my experiences (and only with the .24 autobuilds - all
.23 in the past were just fine) of late.  Of course, you will be
handicapped by the Ubuntu system package selections for the real
reason I switched though.  The minor package inconsistencies were a
minor nuisance, but losing a couple TB of data *twice* was all I could
take  :)

Of course, being the junkie I am, I'll load up the betas of 11.04 when
it's available  :)