[mythtv-users] ,24 Combined EIT and XML channel listing source

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:55:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM, D. R. Newman
<d.r.newman at e-consultation.org> wrote:
> I thought that in 0.23 the EIT scan overwrote the XML data I get each
> day from the Radio Times. Was I wrong?
>
> In fact, the XML descriptions here in the UK are better, since you get
> independent reviews (not puff pieces) and sensible categories (not
> "Social/Policial/Economic" a misprint that has been on Freeview EIT for
> years). But the EIT data updates that actual broadcasting times, when
> programmes overrun (e.g. for breaking news or sports events).
>
> So the ideal would be to update times from EIT, but not the description
> unless the programme name changes.
>
> On 15/11/10 20:45, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> You can use EIT on a channel not covered by XML fine-- what we don't
>> support is XML and EIT on the *same* channel, where the EIT scanner
>> can/will replace data that upcoming recordings are contingent on,
>> causing them not to record or record in odd/bizarre ways.

Please bottom post on our lists.

Yes, the EIT data will replace XML data.  Now imagine what happens
when both are enabled on a single channel, and EIT replaces XML data
where the recording rule is based on the XML data.  Or when it changes
up the schedule slightly on a time-based rule.  Etc.  This is why EIT
and XML on the *same* channel is unsupported.  As I explained before,
you can use EIT on given channels within an XML source.  You just
toggle "useonairguide" to on for the channel.  What is *unsupported*
is using XML *and* EIT as there are tons of permutations that will
break your recordings.  The archives of this list are full of examples
of people griping about missed recordings when they have enabled both
on the same channel.

Lots of things would be ideal (and I hope this thread doesn't devolve
into a series of "wouldn't it be awesome"s) but using the two on the
same channel is complicated in many, many different ways that would
work for one (small) group and break things entirely for another
(large) group.

Robert