[mythtv-users] backend in appletv 2g?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 15 21:58:34 UTC 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 11/15/2010 11:01, Juanmol wrote:
>>
>> Hi! I know it's possible to install the mythtv frontend in a apple tv 2g (the little black one), but it's possible intall the backend too?
>
> The AppleTV is of no use as a frontend or backend for MythTV.  It has insufficient memory to properly run either, much less both at the same time.

Well, I'm pretty sure it could serve as a slave backend just fine. Was
actually thinking about that as a possibility in favor of a plug type
computer, since its cheaper and/or more easily acquired than any of
the sheevaplug variants to date.

> It has too little processor for HD video decoding, and no driver support for access to the DSP.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be trying playback on it, not under
Linux anyway, and certainly not with mythfrontend.

> It has only one eSATA port for storage, and no support for USB tuners.

You're a bit off there. It has no eSATA, and it does have USB.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com