[mythtv-users] Video playback issues in 0.23-fixes

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:35:05 UTC 2010

I've been a happy VDPAU+Mythfrontend  user for quite a while.. was happy to
leave mplayer behind, and get closer to a "works out of the box" experience.

However, my happiness was short lived.... as of about (and I apologize, I
don't have an exact patch level I started noticing) 0.23-fixes I started
seeing two distinct issues.. I've gone forward/backward in NVIDIA driver
revisions, to no avail.. Anyway, the issues:

1. H.264 Accel -- pixelation/juddering -- messed with VPDAU buffer/etc, no
avail. Seems to happen on high bitrate. Here's mediainfo on one file I'm
 having trouble with:

Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High at L5.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 9 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 5 688 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.257

2. MPEG2, blacks -- getting white pixelation only in spots of PURE black,
and only on some recordings. (All HDHR recordings). I'll have to find a
recording and grab the info.. I caught up on a bunch of TV this weekend,
deleted when I was done.

Here's the specifics...

Kernel : 2.6.32.21-168.fc12.x86_64
NV: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  260.19.12

MythTV Version   : 26854
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes/mythtv/
Network Protocol : 23056
Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
QT Version       : 4.6.3

To be perfectly clear, this was NOT happening 3 months ago.. zero hardware
changes, all software changes. this is the initial
"toe-in-the-water-is-anyone-else-having-issues" email. Anyone else having
these types of issues?