[mythtv-users] MPEG4 transcode setting optimization questions

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Mon Nov 15 16:00:54 UTC 2010

A couple of questions:
1. If I want an approximately constant bitrate so that a half hour
   recording always takes up aproximately the same amount of space, is it
   correct that I need to UNCHECK "scale bitrate for frame size"?

   Specifically, I like to transcode to about 1 Gig/hour and am using
   bitrate of 2200.

   Conversely, if I CHECK the paramter "scale bitrate for frame size"
   does that mean that HD recordings will typically take up about 2X
   (or more) space than SD recordings?

2. The parameters "Enable interlaced DCT encoding" and "Enable
   interlaced motion estimation" have been marked as EXPERIMENTAL for
   seemingly forever (and warn about video corruption)

   - In real life broadcast digital TV in the US, is one likely to
     encounter such corruption?

   - If so how likely is it and is it just
     a momentary blip or does it corrupt the entire file?

   - In practice is the quality improvement (for fixed bitrate)
     measurable and worth it (relative to possibility of corruption)?
	 i.e. in practice is it a good option to set???

Thanks