[mythtv-users] Synchronising frontends

Russell Gower mythtv at thegowers.me.uk
Mon Nov 15 10:55:28 UTC 2010


Hi,
  I'm currently running a 0.23 system on Debian Lenny (will upgrade when 0.24 packages become available) using separate front and backend servers. My Frontend netboots from the backend with a NFS root filesystem and is connected via HDMI to my lcd TV in the lounge for video and a spdif cable to my amp for audio. 

I would like to add a slave system in the kitchen, so that we can watch TV whilst cooking etc, I'm currently investigating my options - The key requirement  is that playback should be synchronised with the existing front end!

This is what I've come up with so far
	1. New frontend system 
		Pros
			Simpler cabling (cat already in place)
			Would be useful to have electronic cookery books/recipes 
		Cons
			Additional computer required
			Unsure if synchronisation is posible 

	2. Use a HDMI splitter to split the video signal to the second TV
		Pros
			Doesn't require an additional computer
		Cons
			Cabling will be harder although not impossible
			Audio will be an issue - need to supply down mixed audio not sure how
			Second tv will have a different native resolution (are small tv's/monitors available that will take a 1920x1080 input)

	3. Use second video output from existing front end's video card
		Pros
			Doesn't require an additional computer
		Cons
			Is it possible to output the same video in two different resolutions simultaneously?
			Audio will be an issue - need to supply down mixed audio not sure how


Has anyone done anything similar? Any comments? Have I missed a better solution?

Thanks
 Rrussell
 


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list