[mythtv-users] cutlist editing hangs frontend

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 00:36:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Craig Sanders <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:

> it's really nice when users feel unable to make any comment that might
> possibly be taken as some form of criticism. who wants to foster an open
> communication and feedback process, anyway?
>

> but really - feedback is not an insult even if it isn't entirely
> positive. negative feedback is also valuable. it's called constructive
> criticism. it's intended to help improve the software. sometimes by
> providing a POV that a developer hadn't thought of.

Personally I find it amusing that when confronted with the same sort
of zealous reaction you yourself used, that it's someone else who is
to blame.  Constructive criticism is something delicate, and something
which is given in a genuine, thoughtful, and sensitive manner. That's
how it goes from "baseless" to "constructive."  If you'd like your
comments to be taken seriously, then calmly and dispassionately
explain what you liked about the old one, and which changes in the new
editor have caught you by surprise, and and solicit feedback about why
the changes were made.  What you offered was a rant without bothering
to take into account why the changes themselves were made.  It was
petty and yes, it was rude, and it was in no way constructive.  We
welcome feedback of all mature kinds.  Your message was nothing of the
sort.  It was nothing but a shallow, uninformed rant about how the
changes made you mad, and why will nobody take your viewpoint into
account?  Unfortunately, it is your delivery itself that makes
stomaching your criticism virtually impossible.  We don't expect
everyone to agree with us, we din't expect everyone to like us, but if
someone wants a say, then they get to do it in a way that would pass
as polite in society.  And if they want a vote, then it needs to come
with patches.

If you'd like to engage in a civilized discussion, then please follow
the suggestions above.  If you don't, and if you can't keep your
temper under control, please let us know.

I won't bother responding to your other e-mail, I'm not interested in
perpetuating childishness.

Robert