[mythtv-users] Control myth by MS Kinect !

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:10:14 UTC 2010

On 13/11/2010 9:54 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> I am really sceptical of Kinect; although I havent used one...
>
> How will the system know that a gesture is in fact a gesture and not
> just a random movement... I see that the in game Pause gesture is to
> stand on one leg and put the other leg out and create an L with your
> arms... come on... this just shows that you need a controller as
> well.. like the PS Move.

Okay, I think that's the wrong gesture you've got there. The only
"Standard" in-game gesture there is, is the "Central Hub" menu, like
pressing the Guide button. That one, you stand up straight, legs
together, right arm hanging down by your side and left arm at a 45
degree angle down. It's a very simple gesture, and nothing like the
contortions you are are suggesting. And it knows it's a gesture by you
holding the position, rather than moving through it.

Thus far, I have seen two differing control schemes for use with Kinect.
The first is the MS one, where you hold your hand out and move it around
like a mouse cursor, hovering over something to select it.
The second is the Harmonix/Dance Central one, where you hold your right
arm out at an angle to "Light up" the option, then swipe your arm across
to select it.

The first option works great if you have a grid of options, and the
second works well if you have a list of options. I'm sure there will be
more control schemes coming out as more developers get to grips with
this new technology. And as an Open-Source driver has been made, with
access to the camera and depth maps, it's quite possible someone will
make a "Mouse emulator" for it. I see someone has already done the
"Moving photos around" multitouch demo for Kinect.