[mythtv-users] ALSA volume mixer integration

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Fri Nov 12 05:25:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 20:05, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> you're not using ALSA in a standard way so you will always have issues.

How so?  I understood this to be a perfectly standard use of ALSA.  At
least, every other audio application I run seems to think so.

> ALSA wasn't designed to allow multiple applications access the audio
> card at the same time.

I wouldn't know about the project's intentions, but the fact that hooks
exist for multiple applications being notified of volume level changes would
at the least seem to me to suggest otherwise.

You can't expect myth to behave like you want, when there's no reason
> it should.

Without any disrespect, I am confused why you would say that, when every
other audio app I use does it exactly like I believe it should.  Surely they
are not all renegades, are they?

> If using ALSA, myth expects it to be the only application
> accessing the audio card (and mixer)

I acknowledged myth's understandable myopia in this regard in my first
message in this thread.  But I do thank you very much for acknowledging it,
as well as for any help!

Best regards,
EW