[mythtv-users] Storage group question

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Nov 12 04:34:17 UTC 2010

* On Thu Nov 11, 2010 at 10:36:43PM -0500, Phil Bridges wrote:
> OK - I have my tuner set up on my slave backend.  Recordings made on
> that tuner record fine on the slave backend.  Unfortunately, though,
> when I have a recording from a tuner on my master backend, it can't
> record onto the slave backend.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of Storage Groups a little.
Storage Groups do not allow one backend to record across the network
to another backend's hard disks.  If you want to do this, you'll still
have to use NFS.  Several of us have discussed letting one backend
write across the network to another backends drives via MythTV's internal
protocol, but we haven't implemented the functionality.  Most of the
parts are there because of other features, it would just need some glue.

> All of these slave directories are set at 777.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you want the master to record to the slave's directories, the master will
need to be able to mount those over NFS.  If you cross-mount your directories
on the opposite servers, the storage scheduling code will look at all 5 drives
and schedule recordings across them based on the storage scheduling setting
you have chosen.

--
Chris