[mythtv-users] ALSA volume mixer integration

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Fri Nov 12 02:39:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 18:36, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Please log a bug in trac.

Done: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9212

(I would have liked to register and log it under my own name, but couldn't
find how to register, so it's listed as opened by "anonymous".)

> Myth only reads the volume level when it starts and ignore if that
> value is changed externally after that.

Incorrect, unless I misunderstand you.  It never seems to read it from
ALSA.  I just set it within mythfront to 84% using [ and ], and then exited
the frontend, set the volume to 20% in another mixer application, and
restarted mythfrontend.  The frontend set it to 84% upon playback start.

> You would probably achieve better result if you use pulseaudio here as
> that's what it's been designed for.

I am not a fan of pulseaudio and prefer not to use it as it has complicated
my life in the past.  I am aware of no benefit it offers me over stock
ALSA.  Am I wrong?

Thanks again,
EW