[mythtv-users] Deleted recording - no disk space returned

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 11 19:51:25 UTC 2010

  On 11/11/2010 02:02 PM, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:18, Steve Netting wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this will help you, but on my box in the contrib directory
>> there's script called myth.find_orphans.pl which will cross reference the
>> DB and storage and optionally remove any orphaned files.
>>
>> On my box the path is:-
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/myth.find_orphans.pl
> I do know I have a bunch of orphaned files and/or database entries.
> However, I noticed that this script wasn't in my 0.24-fixes contrib
> directory, and I went off to find out why.
>
> Turns out, according to the wiki and the thread referenced there, that the
> script is deprecated and not recommended anymore.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.find_orphans.pl
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/425156#425156
>
> Just thought I'd point it out lest anyone go blindly down that path.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py is the supported script.

It's purely informational (and, therefore, can not corrupt your database
or delete all your recordings if you don't use it properly--things that
happened with the old scripts) and requires that you do (and, therefore,
agree to) the final cleanup.  So, for example, you would delete
recordings with missing files using mythfrontend's Watch/Delete
Recordings screen; or you would rm or mv video (or other) files with no
recording metadata (usually move the video files into MythVideo, and
potentially use Previously Recorded to allow the episode to re-record).

Mike