[mythtv-users] MCE remote without LIRC

Bob Burgess saitarn at msn.com
Wed Nov 10 22:45:02 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 05:58, Bob Burgess wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> I've recently installed MythTV onto a system running Ubuntu 10.4. I
> then purchased a Windows Media Center remote. It was a very generic
> cheap one, as I only bought it for the IR receiver, I'm using a
> Logitech Harmony Remote and it's learnt the commands from the cheap
> remote. I was trying to install LIRC as per the instructions, but I
> constantly was running into the error
>
> lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
> lircd: Permission denied
You need to create the /var/run/lirc directory

> Whenever I tried to run it. irw also didn't work with a similar
> problem. I then noticed that some commands on my remote were working
> anyway. I have removed LIRC and sure enough the remote is still
> working. It looks like the remote is simply being recognised as a
> keyboard where each button on the remote is a keystroke, or a
> combination of keystrokes. I then went into the MythTV frontend and
> into the Edit Keys menu, and I can simply map the keystrokes coming in
> from the remote to do whatever I want. I don't know how this works,
> but it does.
>
> My remote does not seem to have a key that maps to the escape key, so
> I mapped the backspace key to the "Escape" MythTV shortcut... The
> problem is that this workaround works fine for browsing through the
> menus, but won't work to stop watching TV or a Video. Whether I press
> backspace on my keyboard or on my remote, it won't stop watching the
> Video. The only way to stop watching was to press the Escape key on my
> keyboard, which I left bound to the Escape shortcut. I even tried
> unbinding the Escape key from the Escape shortcut, but that didn't
> help. All that meant was that I wasn't able to stop watching the TV at
> all.  Is there some reason why binding the Backspace key to Escape
> works for everything else, but not leaving Videos? Is there some way I
> can work around this? Any help would be great.
The binding in mythtv is a bit messy, I think you can tell mythtv to use
a different key to escape (not part of mythcontrol) but tbh I don't know
where.

You can remap you keyboard (remote) using xbindkeys with xmacro
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KeyboardShortcuts). I never tested it

Xavier
Thanks Xavier, that xbindkeys with xmacro seems to be exactly what I need. I think this is going to turn into a key-mixing mess by the end, but oh well.Thanks Again
Bob