[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 10 19:12:01 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 12:55 a.m., belcampo wrote:
> tortise wrote:
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic-pae/updates/dkms/nvidia-current.ko):
>> Operation not permitted

>>> Yes you need sudo
>>
>> To do what though? I don't think I need it to fix anything, so what
>> does the default "modprobe nvidia-current" do? man modprobe is not
>> clear to me what modprobe does without a switch added?
> modprobe is a command NOT intended for a 'normal' user. You have to be
> root/administrator of the system to be able to use that command, else
> you'll get 'permission denied'
> sudo is a temporary way of becoming a SuperUser, root/administrator of
> the system. If you are not in the 'sudoers-list' it won't work.
> The you have to do
> su <enter>
> pass the password of root <enter>
> modprobe ..... <enter>
> exit <enter>
> to become a regular user again.

No matter how I look at that I really don't think that was the answer to
my question.  Having run :~$ modprobe nvidia-current without sudo it did
suggest to me that if I had run it as root/su/sudo that it might have
inserted something somewhere and I am not sure I need that, as it might
need undoing....