[mythtv-users] Corrupted recording, need help with diagnosis...
Douglas Peale
Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 17:58:57 UTC 2010
On 11/10/2010 01:53 AM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 10 November 2010 08:25, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> "House" was corrupted yesterday, not just a little bit, but continuously interrupted by pixelation, sound glitches and skipped
>> time. So bad it was unwatchable.
>> This was recorded on an HDHomeRun on a clear QAM channel.
>>
>
> There are several possible causes
> 1) Bad weather causing a problem with the signal.
> 2) Bug in myth causing the datapath from the DVB card to the HD to be
> interrupted.
> 3) Bug in the DVB driver.
> 4) Bug in the Linux kernel.
>
> I suspect (1) to be the most likely cause, but there are no signal
> quality reports in the log, so it might be (2).
>>From the log, myth is definitely having problems processing the stream
> from the DVB card, so this points more to a problem with (1).
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
I was a bit confused last night thinking the two channels were on the same channel ID. It was bothering me that myth chose a
different physical tuner until I realized that "The Event" is on NBC, not CBS, and therefore a different channel ID.
That makes (1) a little bit more likely, but I still have trouble accepting this possibility since this is cable, not OTA, and
there have been no reports of problems on the AVS forum which is the canary in a coal mine for cable problems. Also, "The Event"
was on cable, overlapped the time of the bad recording, and recorded without problems.
If it is (2), (3), or (4), it is going to be difficult to debug since it occurs rarely, and I'm not watching live when it does
occur.
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list