[mythtv-users] "Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 21:04:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've just upgraded from 0.22 to 0.23 and I've seen an undesirable change
in the way that the "Always prompt for initial group filter" (aka
QueryInitialFilter) setting behaves. I just wanted to check here first
to make sure other people are seeing this and agree that this is a bug.

Previously, in 0.22, when I entered Watch Recordings, the group filter
popup would appear, and in the background would be an empty recordings
list. Only if I picked a group would the list of recordings show up.

Now in 0.23 as soon as I enter Watch Recordings, the list of recordings
fills in the background, as well as the group filter popping up in
front. The list of recordings is from the previous group that was
selected, i.e. the one that is initially highlighted on the group filter
popup. (It is probably relevant that I also have "Save current group
filter when changed" (aka RememberRecGroup) ticked).

I believe this change is undesirable for two reasons:

1, It is mildly disorientating for the user for a list of recordings to
appear (even if only in the background) before the user has picked which
group to view.

2, More importantly, if the previous group selected was not All
Programs, but I pick All Programs from the filter, the scroll position
of the recordings list does not go to the top.

I quite often check All Programs to make sure all recent recordings in
all groups have worked OK (I have the most recent at the top), and if
the last group I was in was not All Programs, at first glance it looks
like I have had serious problems with no recent recordings appearing, as
the list is not scrolled to the top.

Does anyone else:

- see this problem?
- know if it's fixed in 0.24?
- know which ticket or changeset changed the behaviour, so I could try
and research the reasoning for the change?

It *may* be changeset 22727 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22727)
but I've only done a little digging.

Cheers,

John