[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 9 19:32:19 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 12:17:11 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > Or, for those who don't want to pay Apple prices, there are other ways to
> > get the same benefits as the Mac Mini for cheaper.
>
> Not if the benefits you're after are "silence" and "tiny footprint". I
> haven't seen anything else out there in a similar form-factor w/enough
> shaders to do advanced 2x deint *and* enough cpu to decode in software if
> need be, for any less than a Mac Mini. If such things do exist though, I
> want to know about them. :)

Some of the offerings from Logic Supply might qualify, but it seems every time I see something there that starts to look
like it might work I discover some sort of "fatal flaw", it might be an Intel graphics chip, a loud fan, a lack of a slot
for a capture device I want to use, or something else, but it seems there's never a "perfect" solution.

Anything that even looks close also seems to be getting very close to the Mini price range.

So for now I'm happy with my Revo, and trying to not spend the money an Apple product or similar requires. I'll put up
with the limitation on deinterlacers, at least for the time being.

It sounds like you have been down this same road.