[mythtv-users] SUPER slow I/O on storage drive

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:36:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I still get copious buffer errors and studdering playback with MythTV,
> > mplayer, VLC, whatever. The SMART readout on the drive doesn't indicate
> any
> > major problems:
> > http://pastebin.com/yWXartSz (I'm told the Airflow_Temperature_Cel error
> is
> > not cause for concern)
> > I'm really stumped here. If this is a drive problem, how else might I
> > confirm?
>
> There is nothing wrong in your smart data. 35000+ POH is a lot but I
> have seen a few drives make it another 10000 before they die.

So the filesystem isn't the problem and it looks like the drive isn't the
problem. I can't imagine the software would be the problem because VLC,
XBMC, Xine, and mplayer all have buffering problems while playing my these
recordings also. And some of the recordings are ATSC, some are from the
HD-PVR. These are just data dumps from the devices; there's no processing by
the backend.

I've got to be missing something. What should I check next?