[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 02:53:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/2010 21:25, Ajay Sharma wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for yet another "best" frontend thread.  Just wondering if the
>> Acer Aspire Revo 1600 is still an awesome frontend or has it been
>> surpassed by the later model or something else?
>
> As with all ION systems, the Revo 1600 is an _adequate_ frontend, provided
> all your playback needs can be handled by VDPAU and the nVidia chip.  If you
> need playback of some content with options not supported by it, or a codec
> not supported by it, or malformed bitstreams it cannot handle, or something
> like Flash, it will fall flat on its face.
>
> For most content recorded by MythTV, it will work fine, but it is still
> preferred to have enough CPU power to decode in software if need be.

I started with all 1600s.  Since I have made a BE/FE combo with an
NV220GT that controls (2) TVs.  One is next to the TV connected via
VGAnd the other is a few rooms away connected via hdmi.  The
investments in this was ~500 (minus the storage arrays I already had),
but it is 2 FEs and a MBE that commflags all 6 of my recorders
simultaneously..

The same $500 would have gotten me (2) revos and the extra 512mb ram
required would have put me at $440..

Well worth it in my opinion..  I'm not second guessing anything..

-Greg