[mythtv-users] how to tell if 5.1 audio channels mapped correctly?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Nov 8 19:54:42 UTC 2010

Zitat von Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> On 8 November 2010 04:37, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
>>
>> This thread got me curious, so I've run your test videos on my FE. The MB is
>> connected to the amplifier through S/PDIF, and the amp's internal speaker
>> test assures that all speakers are working and connected correctly.
>> If I run the 5.1 test videos though, I don't get any sound from the surround
>> (rear) speakers. MythTV is configured to use the digital alsa port, DD and
>> DTS passthrough, upsampling of stereo.
>> I don't have a /etc/asound.conf file.
>> Any hints?
>
> What speaker configuration do you have?

5.1 and that's how I've set up my 0.23-fixes FE.

> If myth <= 0.22 ; for passthrough, you need to set it to "Stereo".
> If myth > 0.22 ; you need to set it to 5.1
>
> When playing upsampled stereo; do you get audio on the rear channel?

Yes, but maybe that's my receiver, because I also get (low) output
there on AC3 content. I even get the front channels (low) on the rear
speakers with the test videos. But *not* the rear channels. I only get
some low rear channel output on the LFE.

> Side note: with myth <= 0.23 : there is no downmixing occurring for
> anything other than AC3 and DTS. ffmpeg doesn't downmix any other
> codecs. This is something corrected with 0.24.

I don't downmix, at least not intentionally, since 0.23 I use sound
output exclusively via the 5.1 receiver.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/