[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

Jeff Wormsley daworm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 04:26:04 UTC 2010

On 11/07/2010 10:24 PM, tortise wrote:
> Any ideas what now?  I see other people have had similar problems and
> downgraded their kernels or to older nvidia drivers.  I'd be happy to
> downgrade to say 256.53 as I think that was working fine.  How do I
> get it going or downgrade it under mythbuntu?  (When synaptic does not
> show 256 as an option)

I recently upgraded a machine from 10.4 to 10.10 and had the same
problem.  For me, it was the fact the latest nVidia drivers do not
support the my 8400GS correctly.  I can ALT-F1 into a text terminal and
log in, and deleting xorg.conf lets me get a GUI.  Best I've been able
to do to get past that is to load the old 173 drivers (available in the
Proprietary Drivers System menu).  Not sure if myth will like that
though.  Haven't got that far yet.

Jeff.