[mythtv-users] how to tell if 5.1 audio channels mapped correctly?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 23:14:01 UTC 2010

Hi

On 8 November 2010 04:37, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> This thread got me curious, so I've run your test videos on my FE. The MB is
> connected to the amplifier through S/PDIF, and the amp's internal speaker
> test assures that all speakers are working and connected correctly.
> If I run the 5.1 test videos though, I don't get any sound from the surround
> (rear) speakers. MythTV is configured to use the digital alsa port, DD and
> DTS passthrough, upsampling of stereo.
> I don't have a /etc/asound.conf file.
> Any hints?

What speaker configuration do you have?

If myth <= 0.22 ; for passthrough, you need to set it to "Stereo".
If myth > 0.22 ; you need to set it to 5.1

When playing upsampled stereo; do you get audio on the rear channel?

Side note: with myth <= 0.23 : there is no downmixing occurring for
anything other than AC3 and DTS. ffmpeg doesn't downmix any other
codecs. This is something corrected with 0.24.