[mythtv-users] Unstable Backend - Full Media Drives but Plenty to Autoexpire

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 7 22:54:11 UTC 2010

  On 11/07/2010 02:30 PM, tortise wrote:
> My mythbuntu 10.04 64 bit backend with a ~100G OS HDD and 2 media 2TB
> drives I've noticed to start missing recordings, duplicate recordings
> and have a few crashes.  I've installed apport and managed to submit
> one so far, that seemed to be to do with time issues.  I upgraded from
> 23.0 to 32.1 thinking that might help.
>
> I realise now what is also different is the media drives are now full,
> but they have 500G of Space Available After Auto-expire.  I am
> wondering if the problems arise from my expecting mythtv to just do
> the deletions without issue.  Anyone else experienced similar, or can
> someone confirm that we need to do the auto deletions ourselves?

MythTV only ever expires shows /after/ starting to record--and /only/
from the file system to which it's recording.  It also chooses where to
record without looking at auto-expire space (based on your selected
Storage Group Disk Scheduler:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler
).  Therefore, if MythTV is recording to a file system which has no
expirable recordings, it will fill the drive, and Bad Things Happen.

Also, if your file system is in bad shape--i.e. something you might
expect from a certain file system once it's more than 80-some-percent
full--it can cause problems that could conceivably slow deletion to the
point that the drive fills up before space is made available.

Also, if your system is unable to expire recordings--due to file system
permissions or getting "stuck" on a particular recording (this happened
for a while, at least with 0-byte recordings)--then it won't be able to
make space to record more.

Mike