[mythtv-users] how to tell if 5.1 audio channels mapped correctly?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 19:34:04 UTC 2010

On 4 November 2010 15:57, Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> wrote:
> [System details at end.]
>
> When I run ALSA's speaker-test program (speaker-test -twav -c6), it gets
> left rear & front center reversed; and also right rear & LFE reversed.

I wrote that speaker-test program.
It tests ALSA.
ALSA has a fixed channel ordering so that all applications can use the
same order.
If the speaker-test program is getting the order wrong, then the
problem is one of:
1) Speaker wires connected wrongly.
2) ALSA driver bug.

Another test to try is:
speaker-test -twav -c6 -Dplug:surround51

If speaker-test gets the order right, the bug is with the application.
If speaker-test gets the order wrong, the bug is with ALSA.

Kind Regards

James