[mythtv-users] timezone problems connecting to remote backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 7 13:59:45 UTC 2010

On Sunday, November 07, 2010 06:45:15 am Michael T. Dean wrote:
>   On 11/06/2010 04:04 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> >> Just link /etc/localtime to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT on both
> >> machines..  The time will stay the same..  It is kinda strange that
> >> mythtv thinks they do not match though - the offset is obviously
> >> right..
> >
> > Not strange at all.  They don't match.  The matching is done by name,
> > not by offset.  We may look into making it go by offset at some point,
> > but the trick is, make the timezone *names* match.
>
> Actually, it would need to match by offset /for every point in history
> and every point in the future/.  The "current offset" is irrelevant.
>
> The only way to match by offset for every point in all points in time is
> to add code that decompiles (or dumps) your zoneinfo rules and compares
> them.  That's not worth the effort (nor the bandwidth).
>
> Also, Jeff, you're better off using America/New_York than EST5EDT.  On
> some systems EST5EDT is /very/ different (and wrong for someone living
> in the US Eastern time zone).

I had been using EST5EDT on some remote machines in Connecticut, thanks for that pointer.

No matter how long you live, or how many people you meet, you will never encounter anyone who can give you a good
explanation for why we observe Daylight Savings Time.

Or, as an one Native American put it:

"Only a white man would think that by cutting a foot off the bottom of your blanket and sewing it to the top of the
blanket, you have somehow created a bigger blanket".