[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Sat Nov 6 21:43:14 UTC 2010

> You can easily setup the 220 to run 2 separate xscreens - 1 on hdmi
> and 1 on vga.  You can create 2 buttons on your remote that restart
> mythfrontend assigned to the proper DISPLAY value (0 or 1).  Then you
> never have to mess with geometry settings, etc and mythfrontend will
> automatically scale properly to the display in use.

That would work nicely. I only used the VGA port on the 220 so far, never got around to the HDMI port.

> If you are going to modulate it, then obviously this is all moot  :)

No, as I said in my last reply, I want to get away from that as the end result. I'm using it for now since I have it handy but my hope is to get away from that and go digital 100%.

> I can almost assure you that a piece of equipment that will modulate
> multiple sources and put them on the wire for a "tuner" to receive
> will cost more than putting an ION based machine at every TV and using
> that "rf ready" cable for ethernet  to talk to the single mythtv
> backend.  :)

Yes, it would but I'm still interested in doing it that way. Sometimes I can buy hardware for 'development' purposes depending on the reasons. Besides, I want to better understand the whole head end setup. I did build a full video production studio once, I'm good with hardware. Software kicks my ass because I have too much going on, never have time to become proficient at any one thing but always willing to fight through it if I can get some input.

For now, using one myth box with SD over RF and HDMI connected to my projector is fine. Then I'll look at the BE's using the PVR-500 cards I bought.

But then, I've also been pointed to LinuxMCE which looks very interesting so need to read up on that too.

I just need to do things one step at a time. Biggest challenge has been getting up to speed in terms of what I need to accomplish what I want in the long run. The LinuxMCE project is quite interesting as well now that I've read about it and I'll probably give it a try. I've spent time on this project though so I'd still like to see this through.

So far, had a full PVR, all of the basics were working. I had to give that machine up however so will either have to buy another mobo or use what I tried to before. I saw a posting about new versions of myth being even better on installation now.