[mythtv-users] Oh Boy! "Compatibility Mode" Ubuntu to move away from X

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 6 15:15:24 UTC 2010


On Friday, November 05, 2010 08:38:14 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> <...wayland...>
> 
> > I was just concerned that what I saw on /. might have a negative impact
> > on Myth, but I'm no longer concerned abut that.
> 
> Honestly, I have 100% the opposite reaction, partially because I know the
> main guy behind Wayland (Kristian Hoegsberg, formerly a co-worker at Red
> Hat, now with Intel), and talked to him about it some just yesterday at
> the Linux Plumbers Conference, in addition to attending a talk given by
> Keith Packard about the direction Linux Graphics is headed, which also
> touched on Wayland and how UTTERLY CRAPPY the X Server is for modern
> computers and graphics cards.
> 
> MythTV is already moving in a direction where good OpenGL support will be a
> requirement for any myth box's video card, and Wayland is all about
> OpenGL, more direct access to GPUs, etc., and based on the diagrams for
> how many layers of crap one must wade through to get from X to the GPU, it
> will be FAR better when Wayland lands, and significantly easier to have
> applications that can utilize the windowing system's native OpenGL
> features, rather than having to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for your perspective. The /. article made it sound like Ubuntu was taking off in their own direction, and possibly 
making things difficult for like Myth.

/. also made it sound like it was a problem for next week, not years in the future, but /. does seem to like alarming 
people.

Thanks for the more rational, and informed, view of things.



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list