[mythtv-users] how to tell if 5.1 audio channels mapped correctly?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 06:37:58 UTC 2010

Hi

On 6 November 2010 05:57, Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> wrote:
> Well, there's good news and bad news.  The good news is that I now see
> the pattern.  Whenever I get digital passthrough to work with a piece
> of software (myth AC3/DTS, mplayer DTS and xine DTS), the playback is
> correct.  But whenever I don't use digital passthrough, the playback
> is wrong, including with mythtv!  For example, with
>
>  http://www.avenard.org/files/media/videotest/audiotest/idch_AviaSurroundTest-DTS.mkv
>
> played back in myth without digital passthrough, the center and left
> surround channels are swapped, and it sounds like the LFE and right
> surround channels are swapped too (but I don't have a subwoofer, so
> it's harder to tell).
>
> So now it looks like I have a systematic problem with channel mappings.
>
> Could it be because the version of alsa I'm running is older than yours?
> I'm running Debian lenny with these alsa versions

If the channel order is consistent when using LPCM ; it could very
well be your amplifier ... Otherwise you can remap it easily with an
alsa configuration.

The way I test LPCM on my box is through the analog output ; and I can
tell you it's correct.

This PC is still running Ubuntu 9.10. Will probably upgrade to 10.04
LTS at some stage : but as they say ; if it ain't broken.. And this is
my main frontend.

JY