[mythtv-users] Myth TV on server

Mark renegade8040 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:41:02 UTC 2010

Hi,
I'm hoping to set up MythTV on my a server I bought used.  I want to be
able to capture TV shows to the server and then have any computer on the
network play those shows.  My question for you guys is what sort of TV
capture card should I be looking at.  The server has 3 PCI-X (not PCIe)
slots available, it only has USB 1.1, It also has a built in serial
port, and we are using a digital cable set top box.  I spent the last
couple of days reading about capture cards in the MythTV wiki but I'm
even more confused now!  I want to capture the signal from the set top
box and control it with the server through an IR interface.  I think I
need to use an analog framebuffer card like the WinTV-Go card, but I'm
not sure, and I don't want to spend the money to find out I cant use
it.  As for the IR control I plan on using the IR Blaster that is
recommended in the wiki. The server is also running openSUSE as its OS.
I would also love to capture HDTV at some point, so if I can get a
capture card that can do that as well then that would be great!  Am I
going in the right direction, or is there something I'm missing?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Additional computer specs:
MOBO: Tyan Thunder K8SR
CPUS:  2 AMD Opteron 270 Dual core 2.0Ghz.
memory: 4 gig
Hard Drive: 1TB drive, 3 empty SATA ports.