[mythtv-users] Is it worth while to stop/start mythtv nightly?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:31:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently started doing a cron job that stops and starts mythtv nightly -
>
> 59 2 * * * root  ( service mythtv-backend stop )
> 0 3 * * * root  ( service mythtv-backend start )
>
> My thoughts we're memory leaks etc... and just getting a clean stop start daily.
>
> Noticed there was a recorded show that had two entries.  Was thinking
> something was wrong.  Then remembered the cron job.
>
> I also do nightly myth fill database.  I'm not sure if this stops
> mythtv from recording/watching because I'm never up at that time.
>
> So I'm wondering if I should combine these processes and just run from
> a command line(cron job).  I believe /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase will do
> this.
>
> Or if it's not necessary at all.
>
> Any input?

I'm not sure what problems your having that you need this but while I
restart the frontend for various reasons (lockups, exiting for the
kids to play games, etc.) I can't remember the last time I restarted
the backend except for reboots or when I've needed to go into
mythtv-setup. The backend has been rock solid for me for quite some
time.

Richard