[mythtv-users] how to tell if 5.1 audio channels mapped correctly?

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Thu Nov 4 15:57:19 UTC 2010

[System details at end.]

When I run ALSA's speaker-test program (speaker-test -twav -c6), it gets
left rear & front center reversed; and also right rear & LFE reversed.
But this discussion

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg26034.html

suggests it's a known problem.  I found a test video at

  http://www.tfm.ro/ac3/download/test_ac3.rar

It plays with the correct channels in myth, but with the channels
incorrect with mplayer, xine and vlc.

However, other test clips I found play incorrectly in both mythtv
and mplayer (and they are incorrect in different ways).  This
includes a remixing of the above video.

How can I be sure when watching a movie that I'll get the channels
mapped correctly?  Isn't there a standard for this kind of thing?
Am I just trying poorly encoded clips?

Any suggestions for how to fix my set-up would be appreciated.
I'd also be interested in people letting my know whether the
clip I linked to above plays correctly for them, and whether there
are other test clips I should try that are known to be encoded
properly.  (The test clips need to make it clear which channel
is which.)

Thanks,

Dan

I'm running myth 0.23 on a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard.  It has
onboard nVidia audio which uses the HDA Intel kernel driver.  I'm
running Debian kernel 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem and ALSA userspace
1.0.23+dfsg-1.  I've got sound going out on the hdmi cable to my Pioneer
VSX-820-K receiver, which has 5 speakers connected (no subwoofer).