[mythtv-users] Multiplexing vs multiple cards

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Nov 4 04:33:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Paul Buchanan <paul.buchanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> which would put more demands on a htpc pvr?  recording 3 simultaneous
> streams from a single tuner which is multiplexing (eg ABC1, ABC2 and ABC
> News 24) OR recording 3 simultaneous streams from 3 separate tuner cards?

In my experience, there's very little difference - ultimately the
choke point is writing the 3 streams to disc. On my Q6600 based
backend, recording even 6 steams (ie. 3 channels from each of 2
multiplexes) barely occupies a few % capacity on one core, provided
commercial flagging is turned off.

- Chris