[mythtv-users] MythTV (0.23.1) Front-end Logs User off When Attempting to Watch Recording or LiveTV

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Nov 2 20:58:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Robert Shields <rwshields at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running Myth 0.23.1 on my backend and front-end (separate machines).
> When I click "Watch TV" or select a recording to watch on my laptop (running
> the frontend) the screen goes black (minus a flashing underscore ( _ ) ).
> It then kicks me out to the Ubuntu (10.10) login screen.  I cleared out my
> frontend and backend log files and attempted to watch a recording; I have
> attached them to this email.  There seems to be something odd happening in
> the frontend log file, but after googling, it is not clear to me what the
> error means.
>
> The laptop is a dell Studio XPS 13 using the nvidia provided drivers.  What
> is interesting is that I have another frontend, an ION board, which connects
> and is able to watch tv/recordings fine.
>
> Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
>
> Frontend (Laptop) Info:
> MythTV Version   : 26863
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
> Network Protocol : 23056
> Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
> QT Version       : 4.7.0

Since 10.10 has been released, there have been a number of reports of
this.  It appears to occur when using a vendor driver (Nvidia mostly,
but I think there have been reports of non-Nvidia) along with using a
MythTV profile that invokes XvMC.  Presumably the problem/bug is
actually in the latest Xorg.

Good luck,

   Marc