[mythtv-users] How to patch LIRC for HD-PVR150

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 2 02:34:58 UTC 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:

>>> Can you point me to the SVN repository for lirc 0.8.7?
>>
>> No svn. Used to be cvs, but I moved it all to git just recently.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lirc/develop
>>
>> However, you could simply download the 0.8.7 tarball.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lirc/files/
>>
>>> Are there any dependencies I need to be aware of if I do a manual
>>> compile?
>>
>> Probably. But if you've emerge'd lirc previously, you should already
>> have them installed.
>>
> As if by magic, I did an emerge --sync tonight, and lirc_0.8.7 became
> available.  So, I first deleted all of the lirc related modules files
> in /lib/modules/2.6.34-gentoo-r6/misc (haven't gone to the next kernel
> yet - one thing at a time).
>
> I also deleted the existing lirc.conf file in /etc/lirc, and emerged
> lirc.
>
> The emerge seemed to go OK, and it created the attached lirc.conf file.
> It seems reasonable, as it has an entry for the mceusb device, which is
> plugged in.  There is a /dev/lirc0 device in my list, but since the
> mceusb receiver is flooding my dmesg list with lirc_mceusb[2]: rx_data
> 90 7f 7f 7f.... etc messages, even with no IR transmitters operating in
> the room.

You've got infrared light coming from somewhere in the room.

> I don't know if the /dev/lirc0 device is the new device or the irblaster
> built into the hauppauge unit,

Pretty sure its the mce device.

> and the constant red light flashing on
> the front of the receiver box is just a tad annoying<g>.

That's a hardware feature. When it sees infrared, it lights up.

> The lircd daemon is running, but when I run irw and try pressing buttons
> on the remote that came with the receiver / transmitter set, nothing
> happens.

Dunno what's going wrong there. Possibly too much interference.

> Is there a way to prevent the lirc receiver flooding dmesg?

You have lirc_mceusb's debug param set. Unset it. But your real problem is all the stray infrared that its picking up.

> Is this a sign of a misconfigured system?

There might be something slightly off with the config, but its hard to tell at the moment.

> Where do I go from here?

Figure out the source of infrared light driving the receiver crazy, then try testing some more w/the remote.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com