[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and blaster

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:58:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> Trying to do as suggested in the thread, mapping of remote to lircd.conf file.
>
> Looking at the file, for example,
>
>       Pictures        0x00007bb6
>
> When I press the Pictures button on my MCE remote, I get;
>
> 000000037ff07bb6 01 Pictures mceusb
>
> I tried changing the above code with the one generated when I press Pictures on the remote but that just broke the remote altogether.
> So, am I supposed to change these codes somewhere else perhaps?
>
> This
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-8.html
> seems to imply that I do enter the full code I generate when pressing the corresponding button.
>
> Can someone enlighten me on this.

The entries in lircd.conf are all of the buttons that will be
recognized by lirc from your remote.  Your .lircrc file for mythtv
maps those existing entries into (usually keyboard) mappings that
mythtv uses.  You can make mythtv do a lot of things by assigning a
single press, script, mu;tiple presses, etc in the mythtv .lircrc
file.  You should never need to add to your lircd.conf - UNLESS with
irw you do not get a mapping.  In your example:

> 000000037ff07bb6 01 Pictures mceusb

It is saying that your .lircrc has a "mceusb" entry in it and the
keypress matched the "Pictures" entry from your lircd.conf file.  Now,
you can go to your .lircrc file, find the entry for Pictures (if it
exists) and make that button do whatever you like in mythtv.

hth