[mythtv-users] Myth and E-Books ?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 16:04:05 UTC 2010

On 1-11-2010 14:37, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday, November 01, 2010 05:10:39 am Corne Beerse wrote:
>
>> For e-readers like the ipad: they should get their implementation of the
>> general frontend.
> I wouldn't call an iPad an e-reader. It's a crippled general purpose machine, without enough processing power to handle
> much in the way of video in software, and no acceleration available that would allow it to operate as a full frontend.

Reading this I have the impression you don-not like the ipad as it is
just not what you want... I guess you are not the prime target to buy an
ipad.

> While you could read an e-book on an iPad, you could also do so with a Blackberry, or a Cray-2, that doesn't make either
> of those devices an e-book reader.

True on this comparison. On the other hand, in an other reply you
mention reading e-magazines on tv. That's something for the ipad too.

> The iPad tries to do so many things that it winds up doing all of them poorly. I doubt that it would make a very good Myth
> frontend.
That was my reason it needs a dedicated front-end. Having said that, I
think the myth group should not spend time on this one. On some systems
I use xbmc as a myth frontend. That does not provide all functionality
but it suits a need (and protection from damaging the backend). Hence,
an xbmc port to the ipod is a verry nice myth frontend on the ipod too.

> There are several Android-based tablets with 7" to 8" screens that might do better, and they cost a LOT less than the
> over-priced iPad. I've seen them from $100 to $200.
A port to an android system is relative easy: that's linux so a check on
the used/available libraries and a rebuild can suit the need here.
Having said that, the same is true for the apple port for the imac and
the ipad.