[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Nov 1 03:35:40 UTC 2010

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:08:07 -0600
> From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
>
> On Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:41:54 am DaveD wrote:
>>  I've used my Gyration keyboard/mouse set for a couple of years without
>> trouble, but my first one crapped out after about a year.  I liked it so
>> well I bought a replacement right away and have no regrets.  I now have
>> two sets, one with a small keyboard (bedroom) and one with a full sized
>> (living room).  What's' really cool is the mouse.  It's got a built-in
>> gyroscope so you can wave it around in the air; no need for a surface,
>> although it's also a standard optical so you can use it on a surface
>> quite
>> comfortably.  The mouse is rechargeable and sits in a cradle charger.
>> Keyboard uses 4 AA's.  The set is a little spendy, but was the first I
>> found with a long range (I forget the specs, but works from other rooms
>> and I've never had trouble that way).
>
> I'll second that. The Gyration KB/Mouse is a nice setup. I think Jarod
> said he had one as well.
>
> I also had a Gyration keyboard crap out, I replaced a couple of obviously
> bulging capacitors and it worked again. I went
> back and replaced all the rest of the caps, figuring they were the same
> age and maker, things still work, but I hope I
> bought myself some more lifetime.
>
> The mouse is indeed unique, I don't use it much with my Myth setup, I just
> keep the keyboard on the table by my recliner
> and it works quite well.
>
> Kodak is using a similar gyro mouse with their Theatre HD player, it's
> smaller than the Gyration unit, and fits the hand
> better, getting it working with my Myth system is one of those "on the
> list" tasks that will probably never get done.
>
> I couldn't find another Gyration setup for my new Myth system build, so
> I'm using a mini bluetooth KB I picked up for $20,
> much cheaper than the Lenovo unit and without the "handle", which I do not
> need.

I've been using an RF keyboard/touchpad combo since setting up my Myth
system somewhere back around 0.20.  I gave up trying to get it to work
with my Harmony 550 remote a while ago, and since I use the box as an
actual computer occasionally, too, this works well for me.  I've on my
second one; the current one I'm using is a SIIG - not sure about the model
number (there are a couple of numbers on the sticker on the back, both too
long to be model numbers); I got it at Fry's but I'm sure it's available
elsewhere.  I'm very happy with it.