[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV NOVA HD S2 sees signal but not channels

Thomas Ulich thomas at ulich.org
Sat May 29 07:19:28 UTC 2010

Hi Richard

On Fri, 28 May 2010, Richard Morton wrote:

> To get it working I just installed the card and configured the
> adapter_nr module options for the other tuners in the box so that they
> were consistently assigned (I have a nova-t500 and a peak, both dual
> tuner PCI cards and both with usb chipsets).

Done that.

> setup in Myth was straight forward with the help of the FreeSat page on
> the wiki and also the help of the brilliant parker1.co.uk site... I
> wouldnt have been able to get myth running in the first instance (and
> with this card) without the useful tutorials for Myth in the UK (and
> much non-UK-specific Myth information) from this site.

I used the parker1.co.uk site as well as the MythTV Wiki for information,
too. Those are excellent sources, thanks to the authors!

> try using the parker1.co.uk information to get playback from the card
> through mplayer first... after a channel scan - it's very simply
> explained on the parker1.co.uk site.

I did namely that, as detailed maybe too briefly in my original post.
The problem is that scan (as well as mythtv backend and scan-s2) does not
find any channels.  Strangely, mythtv reports high signal level,
indicating that my tuning is correct and there's a signal at the end of
the cable from the dish.  The dish/LNB works perfectly when I plug the
cable back into my old DVB-S box.

Here's the abridged output of the output of

$ scan -a 20 -5 -l UNIVERSAL /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-28.2E \
   | tee channel.conf
scanning /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-28.2E
using '/dev/dvb/adapter20/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter20/demux0'
initial transponder 11720000 H 29500000 3
[...many similar lines deleted...]
initial transponder 12692000 V 19532000 1
>>> tune to: 11720:h:0:29500
DVB-S IF freq is 1120000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 11720:h:0:29500 (tuning failed)
DVB-S IF freq is 1120000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 11740:v:0:27500
DVB-S IF freq is 1140000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0010
>>> tune to: 11758:h:0:27500
DVB-S IF freq is 1158000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0010
>>> tune to: 11778:v:0:27500
DVB-S IF freq is 1178000
[...and so on and so on...]

This does not find a single channel, so I cannot try with mplayer, because
I don't have a channel.conf.

By the way, no such problem with the my TD-500 DVB-T card.

Thanks!

All the best,

Thomas