[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 28 15:31:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:50:56AM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Phil Linttell <phil.linttell at rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com>
[deletia]
> >> "EyeTV HD features a unique dual-format capture mode and can record in
> >> both the iPad and iPhone formats at the same time. This feature
> >> supports super-fast exports to iTunes from EyeTV, and facilitates the
> >> streaming of live and recorded TV to an iPhone or iPad using the
> >> optional EyeTV app."
[deletia]
> > Real-time transcoding for mobile devices is practical these days, either
> > with more powerful multi-core / high-performance CPUs, or increasingly
> > through platforms like the ARM/Tegra.  I can run the AirVideo Server under
> > linux, on a dual-core, 3GHz AMD CPU and transcode on-the-fly 720p HD-PVR
> > recordings for streaming to an iPod Touch.  In fact, I've been able to do it
> > while watching TV via a remote MythTV front-end and while
> > transcoding/streaming to an iPod and commflaging a the same time.  So, I
> > think the argument for real-time transcoding is no longer valid.
>
> I agree. I was just saying that this is what many other people were saying. :)
>
> My ~3 year old core 2 quad backend has more than enough oomph to
> transcode on the fly.

...that's assuming that you've got the 2 cores laying around waiting to service
your devices. Most of my cores are already spoken for for some other myth related
purpose. Other people probably can't count on 2 or more cores sitting ready.

> > For those who are interested, using MythicalLibrarian to provide sensible
> > directory/file name access to myth recordings, and AirVideo Server for Linux
> > (free) and the AirVideo client ($3) is a great solution for streaming to
> > iPods/iPhones (and there's a version for the iPad now), but at this point
> > it's only for Apple devices....  and a bit of a challenge to set up.
>
> One thing I'll note here: its a bit of a challenge to set up if you're
> using the AirVideo Server for *Linux*. It takes about 30 seconds to
> set up if you're using the AirVideo server for Mac OS X (and

   You still need to setup format support and this isn't necessarily
as easy as you might think. I've still got some files that don't seem
to be supported yet. I wonder if a Linux AirVideo server will be any
help in that regard.

> presumably similar for Windows). I'm running AirVideo Server for Mac
> OS X on an old 2GHz Core Duo iMac right now. Works well enough for all
> mpeg2 content and lower resolution h.264/mpeg4/etc., but real-time
> transcode unsurprisingly doesn't work particularly well for h.264 HD
> content. Thus far though, its mostly all just a neat trick for me to

    That's the kicker.

> be able to play stuff on my iPad and iPhone. I'm rarely in a position
> where I want to watch something and it doesn't make more sense to just
> watch it using mythfrontend on a machine hooked to a TV at home, or

    Yup. A sort of "MythTV anywhere" setup could be cool though. iDevices
don't have much storage. So it's nice to be able to pull stuff from across
the web. I already do this stuff that's in the MythTV photo gallery. I use
modified versions of websites I already had setup for relatives.

[deletia]